Jimbo's Techlog

Monday, August 07, 2006

Another apple I won't be biting in to

I don't normally follow or comment on Apple news, but this is an exception since it involves Intel and Windows. Allow me to rant.

There's all this hype right now about Apple using Intel chips, and the prospect of running Windows on Apples. Is it just me or is Windows the very reason 99.9% of users switch to Apples to begin with -- to get away from it!

I understand that a dual boot Mac would be great for developers, but aside from that niche market, what's the real gain here?

It seems that everyone in the biz is psyched about the mix of Windows and Apple, claiming it's going to be stable. Windows will never be stable. It doesn't matter what fruit is on the case.

And by the way, Apple users: If it has the heart of a PC, the OS of a PC, it's a PC! Apple should probably change its marketing strategy.

Now, an Apple OS on the PC, that might be cool -- but you might as well just install your favorite flavor of Linux.

I should mention that I don't really have anything against Apple users, I had some terrible experiences with Apple and their earlier generation iPods in the past, but I think everyone knows Apple computers aren't purchased for their company's stellar support.

In short:
Intel: Great deal.
IBM: Bad deal.
Apple: Good shorterm, we'll have to see how long term pans out.
Apple users: You can unfortunately no longer look down upon PC users as a lower lifeform. I never agreed with not calling an Apple a PC anyway -- it's personal and it's a computer, isn't it?
Windows users: Our OS still sucks, sorry.
Windows on a Mac developers/supporters: Don't waste your time.
Mac OS on a "PC" developers/supporters: This has a huge potential, as long as we can get past the legality of it, which is why I'll stick with Linux as my alternative for now.

Conclusion: This is publicity for Apple, which is always good, but I think this is the beginning of the end for the mystery that surrounds the Apple architecture that users hold so dearly, and could ultimately lead to Apple being more of a PC OS developer instead of a proprietary personal-computer-but-not-a-PC manufacturer.

~J

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home